Cervical Cancer Awareness
January is Cervical Cancer Month.
Cervical cancer is the second most common cancer in Indian women.
Symptoms of Cervical Cancers are
- Bleeding per vaginum (especially after intercourse), vaginal discharge and pain.
- Cervical cancer can be picked up in pre-cancerous stages by means of screening
- Screening can be done by a gynaecologist for all women aged 25-65 years.
- Cervical cancer is actually caused by a virus-the human papilloma virus (HPV), mainly types 16 & 18.Infection occurs during sexual intercourse.
- Giving girls the vaccine against HPV during childhood and adolescence can prevent development of cervical cancer.
Treatment of uterine cervix cancer:
- In early stage: Surgery OR Radiotherapy. In advanced stage: Chemoradiotherapy